Skip Navigation Links
Home
About Us
Our Services
Course we Deal
Education
By Career
Colleges
Universities
Contact Us
Home >> State Detail >> University List >> Patna University
Patna University
The Patna University, the first university in Bihar, was established in 1917 during the British Raj, and is the seventh oldest university of the Indian subcontinent. At that time, the jurisdiction of the university extended to Bihar, Orissa, and the Kingdom of Nepal. The university oversaw examinations for educational institutions ranging from school finals to the postgraduate levels. This continued almost for four decades, until the establishment of the Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, and the Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar.

Colleges

The university has several colleges and institutions which cover areas of study including law, teacher training, science, arts, commerce, medicine and engineering. Since 1974, the university has also a Directorate of Distance Education.

Some scholars who contributed to the growth of the University include the Rashtrakavi Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar', Mahamahopadhyaya Pandit Ram Avatar Sharma, Pandit Nalin Vilochan Sharma, Pandit Devendranath Sharma, R. K. Sinha. and Sir Chandeshwar Prasad Narayan Singh.

Patna College

Patna College was founded on 9 January 1863. From 1863 to 1917 the college was affiliated to the University of Calcutta. It then became affiliated to the newly founded University of Patna.

After partition from Bengal,[when?] the first constituent assembly was held in seminar hall of this college.

Patna Science College

The Patna Science College is an institute of higher education in science which began in 1927 as the science department of Patna College. It was formally opened on 15 November 1928 by the then Viceroy, Lord Irwin. As of 2010 the college has five laboratories, located in separate buildings, and offers courses in physics, chemistry, botany, zoology, geology, mathematics and statistics, as well as various vocational courses.

Bihar College of Engineering

Main article: National Institute of Technology, Patna

A survey training school was established in 1886 and this became Bihar School of Engineering in 1900. A graduate level curriculum was introduced in 1924. It was renamed as Bihar College of Engineering in 1932. In 2004 it became known as the National Institute of Technology, Patna as a consequence of a government policy to develop centres of excellence in technical education. At this time it ceased to be affiliated to the university as it gained full autonomy.

College of Arts and Crafts

The College of Arts and Crafts is an institute for advanced training in visual arts. It was established on 25 January 1939 at Govind Mitra Road, Patna by Radha Mohanjee, with Rajendra Prasad (the first President of India) as one of the original members of its management committee. The state government of Bihar took control of the college in 1949 and in 1957 the school moved to a new location at Vidyapati Marg, Patna. In 1972 it was renamed as the College of Arts and Crafts and on 12 April 1977 it became a part of Patna University, at which time its diploma course was converted into degree course.

Bihar National College

Bihar National College was established in 1889, and as at 2010 is located near to the Gandhi Maidan. It caters for about 3,500 students following multi-disciplinary courses in science, arts and commerce.

Patna Women's College

Patna Women's College was founded on 14 September 1940 by Bishop B. J. Sullivan and Mother M. Josephine, the Superior General of the Apostolic Carmel. It was the first college for women in the state of Bihar. Originally operating from Sullivan's own residence, it relocated to premises at Bailey Road which were gifted to it by Sir Thomas George Rutherford, Governor of Bihar, in 1945. The relocation did not take place until 1948 due to the desire to construct buildings which were in keeping with the High Court which is situated opposite to the college.

The college is run by the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel. It was allowed initially to teach up to intermediate level in arts but in 1941 was accredited to offer degree courses. It became a part of the Patna University in 1952. The college has been offering science courses since 1988.

Patna Medical College and Hospital

Patna Medical College was established in 1925 as the Prince of Wales Medical College. It is located on Ashok Rajpath. The college saw a decline in its stature during the period of 1988-1998 during the period roughly coinciding with the government of Lalu Prasad Yadav but has recovered since.[citation needed] The hospital has 1,700 beds.

Patna Dental College

Patna Dental College is an institute for dental science which was established by Dr R. P. Lall on 9 September 1960 in the premises of Patna Medical College and Hospital.

Other institutions

Patna Training College, Magadha Mahila College, Patna Law College, Vanijya Mahavidyala, the Bihar College of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, and the Women’s Training College also form part of the University of Patna.

Notable faculty

• Kapil Muni Tiwary, linguist
• Ram Sharan Sharma, historian, also alumnus
• Hetukar Jha, sociologist, also alumnus
• Papiya Ghosh, historian, also alumnus
• R. K. Sinha, scholar of English

 
College Detail View